Friday, February 17, 2023

Some Science taste....

 

To Start with ….

Dear friends,

Have a great day!

This is my very first  scribbling in my  Blogsite. Right at this beginning,  may I pray excuse for any errors in my ‘English’. As you may agree, it’s all an inheritance from my School days, and of course  due to my negligence in updating my language lessons. I will explain on those experiences in my forthcoming episodes.

As a first attempt, I will touchup on Science topics in this Blog, which I feel is  amenable to me. That’s because all along these years I was dwelling on understanding various technical problems, solving them, and implementing their solutions.

Today, I came across a beautiful phenomena that’s happening everyday, this season.  I found dewdrops on my scooter’s seat cover !  You may be wondering what is so great  about  it. Of course nothing great, we all would have observed dewdrops not only on seat covers, but also on grass leaves as well. We used to wet our feet while walking through ridges of the paddy field during our childhood days and enjoyed the chill experienced. You may already be knowing where it is coming from. Yes, humid air contains water droplets in molecular level. It condenses over the surface which is in contact with it. But how droplet is seen only on the seat cover, not on the mirrors or other metal parts of this scooter ? This is what tempted me to  explain.

 

In the night, atmosphere is relatively cool; no Sun rays to make the ambient air warm. What happens is, the black seat cover radiates to the atmosphere around profusely because of its very high emissivity. Being a poor conductor,  heat cannot conduct towards it  from other parts of the scooter. The surface will get cold, goes to lower temperature compared to its ambient, and may be going below dewpoint temperature. Hence water droplets in the air condenses over the seat cover. Where as mirrors and other parts having relatively low emissivity values, they could not cool below dew point temperature. So there is no condensation on such surfaces.

I hope that makes it clear.

And finally, a line of appreciation !  Thanks to Sri. Prasannakumar, my friend and former colleague, for his continuous encouragement and help rendered in developing this Blogsite for me.

Thank you for  reading…..


No comments:

Post a Comment